Get to know the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve in Tulum
Actualizado: hace 5 días
The 'gift from heaven' is a reserve whose name does justice to its beauty.
In Maya "Sian Ka’an" means "place where the sky is born", this reserve is also called "Gate of Heaven".
1. It is located in the state of Quintana Roo and has an area of 652 thousand 192 hectares.
2. The zone begins 10 kilometers south of Tulum and includes the municipalities of Felipe Carrillo Puerto, Cozumel and Solidaridad.
3. In 1986 Sian Ka'an was declared a Biosphere Reserve and in 1987 it was named a World Heritage Site by Unesco.
4. It houses ecosystems such as jungles, mangroves, and 120 kilometers of reef belonging to the Mesoamerican Reef System. In addition, it is made up of a hydrological system with lagoons, wetlands, underground rivers, and cenotes. 5. It is home to 103 species of mammals such as dolphins, jaguars, ocelots, tigrillos, white-tailed deer and pumas, and 336 species of birds. It is an important breeding area for hawksbill, white, leatherback, and loggerhead turtle species. Meanwhile, its wetlands are a refuge for two species of endangered crocodiles and manatees, also at risk of disappearing.
HOW TO VISIT THE SIAN KA’AN RESERVE?
You have several options to visit Sian Ka’an, you can go:
ON TOUR WITH A TRAVEL AGENCY: Regardless of where you are, throughout the Riviera Maya many travel agencies offer excursions through the Biosphere Reserve, most tours include transportation and the company of a guide all day, tours by boat through the mangrove swamp and in Punta Allen to see turtles and dolphins and also snorkel equipment.
MY OWN CAR: If you don't like to go on a tour, you can go in your own car or rent one. The only thing that will have to be a tall car since the road in the reserve is not very flat and you could have problems trying to cross it.
BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT FROM TULUM
There are buses that from Tulum go to Punta Allen, leaving from the Tulum taxi station (Avenida Tulum Mza, number 4, Centro).
WHAT POINTS OF INTEREST ARE FOUND IN THE SIAN KA’AN RESERVE?
THE ARCH AT THE ENTRANCE OF THE RESERVATION:
It is the first building when entering the reserve, there you will have to register and pay the entrance, whose price is $ 50.00 MXN per person.
BOCA PAILA BRIDGE:
Boca Paila is 11 kilometers from the entrance of the reserve. It is a privileged place for the fishermen who are there to fish. Boca Paila is located between the Caribbean Sea and the Muyil lagoon. The combination of fresh water and seawater means that there is a great variety of fish.
BEACHES IN SIAN KA’AN:
On the way, you will see that there are several virgin beaches where you can stop. They are very beautiful and you can have the beach to yourself just to enjoy a refreshing swim.
TOURS THROUGH THE MANGROVES BY BOAT:
The boat tours can be done in the Caribbean Sea but also in the mangroves of the lagoon. They will allow you to walk through the mangroves and learn about the species that live within them: hundreds of birds and plants.
Punta Allen is 43 kilometers from the entrance, at the end of the road. It is a fishing village where you will find places to sleep and eat seafood (locals say that lobster is cheaper than in Tulum Pueblo). Also in Punta Allen, many agencies offer tours of the Caribbean Sea and fishing trips. They take you to the reef, from there you can practice bird, fish, dolphin and turtle watching.
* Use only biodegradable bronzers.